What could my design be
Reflection on my thesis and design process
Design Future / Design Goals
This is some text inside of a div block.
This is some text inside of a div block.
I used to worry about what is a good design, and how to make your design be trustful and valued, like my design could influent more people, it could make users’ life happier or someday it will become a big deal.
However, sometimes, caring more about the impact, the tech we use, or how rare my design is are not making it better. Because too much concerning the result, too much pressure. And the pressure will make me could not see what phenomenon/scene I am touched (good or bad).
So what could touch me most?
In this process, I find SYSTEMIC DESIGN, DESIGN FOR SOCIAL INNOVATION, TRANSITION DESIGN. In each area, there are so many details I am concerning about and should learn. I believe they will make my design more researched and systematic.On top of that, I hope maybe this blog process and design could inspire readers and users to have a desire for future life, just like me:)Because there are so many designers are working on it, just like me, right?:)
- END -
🌳21🌳 Ideas Digging 4
Learn and Do “Design Sprint” 1.0
Design Sprint 1.0 | Testing User Journey | Testing Feedback
This week, Barak taught the “Design Sprint” in class. This is my first time to know this 5-day challenge. It seems a very quick and sufficient way to test the prototype.
The sprint is a five-day process for answering critical business questions through design, prototyping and testing ideas with customers.
For my project, I talk with Barak and make the problem statement clear.
Problem Statement:Knowing that personal and sensitive information gets leaked online routinely, how might we protect users and promote awareness of the importance of online privacy?
Last semester, I figure out the solutions I could provide to modify users’ content(pictures and videos).So for this time, I will focus on how to promote users’ awareness of the importance of online privacy?
My 1st “Design Sprint”
1. [Define the Key Problem]
How might we promote users’ awareness of the importance of online privacy?
2. [Map the Testing Journey]
Testing User Journey Map
3. [Brainstorm Possible Solutions]
- show plenty of news leaking sensitive information;
- show bad consequences, like houses were stolen, victims were facing physical risks, portraits were balefully modified, victims were receiving some anonymity package;
- show users’ own sensitive information I found online.
4. [Decide the best solution]
When I go through my user journey map, there is a part I am not quite sure about. Which how to show the vivid bad result and use them to inspire users. Because not everyone shares lots of content on social media. If I only present the bad news, I believe users will not empathize with the victims in the news. I need to rebuild the test process and figure out the solutions.Hence, I decide to change presenting the bad news to showing real information that users leaked online.I believe users will feel more related to themselves and they will be clear on how much information they have already online and have a resource to modify or delete.
Remapping Testing User Journey
5. [Build a realistic prototype]
For this part, I build 2 social media privacy reports for my classmates after checking their Instagram and want to get feedback from them.
- Cyan rarely shares moments online.
- Tien-Wei sometimes shares the moments online.
Realistic prototype goals:
- connect with users’ social media;
- checking their contents;
- create their reports(show below);
- show the real details(name/phone number/email/school/ other personal information);
- each detail can link to the source(picture/web/comments…)
Cyan’s dashboard[blurring some sensitive information to protect his privacy]
TW’s dashboard[blurring some sensitive information to protect his privacy]
6. [Test with the target users]
“This one is better than the previous report. And it makes me feel more related to myself than only show some bad news on the social media. Even I did not post a lot, I am also quite proud I got 0% risky score.”
“I will definitely use it if it is lanuchable! I cannot spend too much time find each where are my information are. And I really care about my privacy and do want them leak everywhere.The details in the dashboard which help me to find all the platforms has my information. It will save my finding+searching time and help me point to my content. So I could easily modify or delete the sensitive information.”
“Some of my information already shared online, it means I am ok with this shared information, like if you are a designer, you need to make a portfolio, add your phone number, email and your experience in your resume. It is really necessary for designer to get job. So how do you manage the sensitive contents showed on your dashboard?And for pictures, it will make more sense bacause lots of people have not realize their posters are leaking privacy. So how do you show the leaked photos in the report to promote users awareness?”
7. [Reflection on the feedback]
I am thinking to add a preference setting when they install their account on my platform. And even for designers, we also do not know if there are some websites and social media which are using their work or personal information. So it is also necessary for the users who need to present themselves, like designers, influencers, etc. I just give a summarized report to show where you live on social media, and then you could choose whether you want to go at act like you want to keep it? delete it? modify it? or do you want to let the lawyer connect with the publishers?
8. [Discussion with Advisor|Katherin Fisher]
There are several points she said I need to keep going:
- The detecting content type is … ? only pictures and videos? or also include the comments/text, because lots of information is in words.
- What is your target user? there are different laws and procedures in different countries, you need to choose one to dive into.
- Do you consider the whole/idea user journey?
- There are different stakeholders in steps, clarify them.
- Think about the business model of your project.
- All the sensitive information should relate to each user, and then they can feel much riskier.
- The detecting content could have more types.
- Try to focus on users in one area, it will simplify the subsequent procedures.
- END -